Sonntag, 7. Oktober 2007

Culture Trip...

you might not believe it. there is some kind of cultural "stuff" in the states.
I just got home from a field trip to Kansas City. Susan (the foreign exchange coordinator) and her husband took the white Missouri Western van and took us (Cindy, two boys from my floor and me) to the William Rockhill Nelson Gallery of Art.

There are several collections from all kidns of ages and cultures...for example this monet painting (Boulevard des Capucines or Les Grands Boulevards)
as well as some American Indian exhibits

There is a nice sculpture garden surrounding the two buildings of the museum, but when Cindy and I wanted to walk around a bit, it started raining heavily. Oh by the way, we still have 25C temperatures here :)!


After this "culture shock" (it's amazing how Americans consider stuff ancient, even though it's less than like 200 years old "young"), we went to the plaza again. This plaza is desgined to look like the city of Sevilla, Spain. I haven't been in the Spanish city yet. However, the plaza is nice, yet somehow - for a european - it doesn't look 100 % authentic...
Cheesecake Factory is a wonderful place. Cindy and I went there for lunch....and she met some friends that she got to know during her year at Boston. I don't wanna be rude, those two girls were really nice, BUT honestly! WHO cares about human beings, when it comes to burgers?

not to mention the stuff the cheesecake factory is actually famous for - their cheesecake.

"oma, dein taesekuchen is gud, aber der taesetuchen der mama is besser!" NICHTS KOMMT AN MAMA's KAESEKUCHEN RAN!!!


And now i'm back in my dorm. I need to work on a English reading assigntment. We're about to create our inquiry (a contract between MSWU students and teachers)...it's just tough to find the right motivation for something that is not among your most favorites class... oh well... mid-term is coming up. MID-TERM!!! ALREADY!! a fourth (!) of my academic year is already over?you gotta be kidding!so far the grades are, well, good :) I just had one test in consumer behavior so far (93%) - the second one is coming up in like 10 days. Principles of Marketing... herrlich! After a dramatic grade drop from 107 to 103 % (with the 50 out of 50 in the last test!), I really worked on that one assignemnt (--> do you feel the irony?!), a SWOT analysis and the Boston Group Consulting Matrix, and scored 22 out of 20... so i'm back to like 106% again. I just hope i can keep my grade around 100% - would be really nice for Bamberg.
I should have all points in English as well. But so far only smaller assignments have been graded - not the major essays (this i believe, the contract, etc.). The essays won't be graded until the end of the semester. but you know what - i acutally don't care about the grade as long as I pass this class!
Psychology is really interesting. We had a test last tuesday. I didn't do much more than typing my notes in a word document and read the study guide and a few pages in the book. On test day, I didn't feel too comfortable, there were a few questions that I didn't really get. I couldn't remember having read anything in my notes, study guide or book about it. But I thought, hey, who cares about that grade in this class?!
On thursday, we got this multiple choice test back. Wow. For American standards this test really didn't go too well for the students... just 5 As and a couple of Bs in a 70+ class?! So our teacher curved the test. This means that whoever scored best gets 100 % of the test - even thought he might have like 20 out of 50 right... the best in our class scored 45 out of 50. I wonder who ;) not me! i scored 44 out of (now) 45 - and kinda scared my neighbors in that class. oh well. Since we're gonna get extra credit for participating in a little (psychologic) survey, my grade in this class should be above 100% as well...
THIS IS AMERICA!!!

1 Kommentar:

Philipp hat gesagt…

Hey Tobi,
don't distract, we want the story about the real interesting issues, you know, those you erased ;-)

Best greetings from Sweden

Philipp